Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Update from the North

Wednesday, April 4th, 1:10, Syracuse airport:
Hello, viewers! I am in the Syracuse airpot at gate 23!
I am typing on an iPad, so hopefully this will not take too long. The flight here was fine. There was barely any turbulence - none, really. Some attendant guy took me on and off the plane. I sat next to some nice Jewish physics professor on the plane. I got the window seat, because I was the first one on the plane!
I finished my first book. The plane was too loud for my iPod, so might listen to that some now.
Security was fine. Mom and Benjamin were aloud to accompany me to the gate, which was nice. I called home as soon as I got here. My grandparents were here. We went and had lunch at some sandwich place. The airport is pretty empty here, not like Atlanta, although it is pretty big.
I'll be updating this post all day as stuff happens.
I know this is very short and rather bland so far, but it will get longer and more exciting I'm sure.
Bye for now! I'm waiting in the same terminal in which I arrived.
I might call some of you later today just because I can. Short calls, Mom! Don't worry! I won't waste all the battery power.
(Heh. Just realized I forgot my iPod charger. I don't really have anywhere to plug it in, though, anyways. I'm sure it will be fine.)
GOODBYE!!!

5:53, Hotel Beacon, NYC
I'm here!!!
New York City is huge!
The flight here was short - only about half an hour long. Thus, no biscoff cookies :(
We had a nice , brief view of the skyline on the way back down. We then took a short Shuttle to the main airport. The airport was loud and rather crowded, but it only took about a minute to get out. Less. There were a ton of taxis lined up outside. All that orange cheddar color. All the same shape. The inside if the taxi was similar to the taxi I rode in Chicago, with a little barrier between the driver with all these screens and stuff.
We got into the city pretty soon. The buildings are HUGE. I'm not even talking about the skyline. All these really tall apartment buildings.I A lot of them look really old, and they have these long fire escapes. Under the apartments were all these tiny stores and restaurants crammed together. A ton of people were walking around. The sidewalks were really thick.
I couldn't stop staring. It almost reminds me of somewhere I've been, but I don't know what that place was.
There were several signs advertising stuff, but not really as much as in Atlanta. Not enough room, I suppose. One said "AGED" with a picture of the lower face of a pale woman wearing lots of makeup with an asparagus in her mouth.
There were a bunch of subway stations and stuff. The six lanes of traffic were split by this row of park like benches and tulips and stuff. A lot of people were just hanging around. In the street too. All over. No one seemed to care much. Once this group of motorcycle people screamed by on one wheel each. It was loud.
So far New York City seems fine. There's certainly a lot to look at.
We arrived at our Hotel after a long taxi ride.
It's called Hotel Beacon. The was a fancy black canopy thing outside. In front of the building were several abstract chicken sculptures. They were like these large balloon things with tiny blobby chicken heads in top.
The inside of the hotel was very furnished, with all this glass and granite and gold-painted stuff.
Our room is this neat little suite thing with classy green furniture and a very nice view.
I'll upload the pictures sometime.
Heh. Some guy just started playing jazz outside. Bu bubu bu buuuuuum.
Well, I need to go out and explore a little. Buy some food. Take some pictures.
Talk to you later!

9:23 Hotel Beacon
That was exciting. And cold.
We went to a little food market across the street where I bought raspberries. Then we walked down to Hudson River Park. By the Hudson River. Duh.
There were a bunch of pigeons and hot dog carts. And this statue of Eleanor Roosevelt.
We walked down against the river. It was cool and windy, with a nice view across the river. There were a bunch of blossoming trees against the path that were very good for climbing.
We walked against the river for a very long time. Almost an hour, probably. There were all these cyclists riding past.
Then we went by the apartment where Mom was raised until she was four years old. We sort of walked around it and I took pictures.
At this point it was around seven thirty, and we went onto Broadway to find something to eat. There were lots of restaurants open. We went to this French one that was really nice. I had some pasta with shrimp. It was a very good. All these cherry blossoms around the street kept shedding a ton of petals all over the food.
For desert I had a hazelnut moose thing with chocolate and hazelnut cream stuff.
It was AMAZING!!
Then we waited a bunch in the cold for a bus that never came. Instead, we ended up taking a taxi. We nearly got crushed by this random truck. The driver was a little wild.
Then we came home and not much has happened since then. I've read some.
Can't wait till tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Wowzers. So you were an unaccompanied minor? Yay sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm. I want a sandwich.
    YAYAYAY UPDATE UPDATE SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you updated!
    NYC sounds AWESOME!!! Just like on TV and stuff.
    Picturespicturespictures!!!!
    OMG I AM SO EXCITED TRY TO UPDATE SOON AND ALSO RESPOND TO AS MANY COMMENTS AS POSSIBLE CUZ THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!!!
    Plus, as a side note, I am very excited about and impatient about and looking forward to when you get kittens!
    What a frivolous (unrelated word, but it sounds nice and kind of fits the mood) month! Off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm glad you are enjoying this! I miss you guys!
    ...
    I'm not really sure what to say, but you told me to respond, so here I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!!!!
    EZRA MILLER'S BAND HAD A SHOW IN NYC TWO FREAKING DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!
    YOU JUST MISSED IT!!!!
    ...
    Well technically you couldn't have gone. Firstly because I doubt your grandparents would let you, and secondly because you're underage.
    It's still a pretty epic coincidence!
    ...
    OMG!!!!!!
    I JUST REALIZED!!!!! (Wow. I'm slow.)
    EZRA MILLER FREAKING LIVES IN NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    O.O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. I'm surprised you don't already know his address.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's not like he puts his address online. We just know he lives in Chelsea! (subsection of NYC. Like Chinatown, kind of!)

    ReplyDelete

I could be wrestling with a squid underwater right now, in MORTAL PERIL somewhere in Kenya's squid reserve, and yet I would still find time to respond to this, so make it count.
[P.S. 25% proceeds from comment benefit donates to the Kenya Save the Squid fund. Sign up today!]