Thursday, February 2, 2012

My New Toy

Today I got a brand new toy as a belated Bat Mitzvah gift.
                                       
                                       
DUM DUM DUUUUUUUM
That's right. A turret.
For those of you who do not know, turrets are mechanical devices in Portal and Portal 2 (computer games) that shoot you. They may be evil but they are SO DARN ADORABLE. Especially plush ones.
And it talks! It says quotes from real turrets, if you turn it on.
The little eye-laser thing lights up. [That's called an optical sensor.] If it sees you (if you move in front of you) it can say:

  • Target Acquired.
  • There you are.
  • I see you.
  • Preparing to Dispense Product
  • Activated
Followed by a smattering of bullets (oops. you die. hehe.)

If you knock it over from behind or shake it it says:
  • Critical Error
  • Shutting Down
  • I Don't Hate You (I remember that one from the game. So sad. Those turrets are pretty forgiving)
  • Hey! Hey! Hey!
  • Malfunctioning.....
I keep it turned off most of the time. It's still pretty cool. It came from THINK GEEK, which has all sorts of geeky stuff like space time watches and pi-shaped ice cubes makers. ThinkGeek also has plush Companion Cube and a GlaDOS potato battery (long story) science kit.

I wanted to spiff up this post so I made a little video. It's short (really short) and kind of lame, so I just threw this together in the 15-something minutes that I had. I wanted to post this today. I do have a drafted script of a more elaborate film-ish thing involving Portal and Turrets that I may or may not be able to compile with Benj this weekend.
Anyways, here's the filmy thing.
There you go!
If this stupid video finishes loading, I'll post it. If not, I'll try again tomorrow with an apology. 
Love y'all!
~Julia

P.S. I see you....
P.P.S. That "FOR NOW" was supposed to come at the end. Sorry. I'll fix it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I could be wrestling with a squid underwater right now, in MORTAL PERIL somewhere in Kenya's squid reserve, and yet I would still find time to respond to this, so make it count.
[P.S. 25% proceeds from comment benefit donates to the Kenya Save the Squid fund. Sign up today!]