Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Punnett Llama

We've been learning about genetics.
Dominant traits.
Recessive traits.
Heterozygous. Homozygous.
Punnett Squares.
So I ran some experiments and developed the Shark Llama Genome. So, little children, here's my lesson.
You see, we have the shark llama.
Squarish head, small body, fluffy tail, long teeth.

But I researched all these different traits. For example....

FUR
Fur comes in many shades of brown (ranging to orang-y) 
Dark fur is generally dominant, but you'll notice that it can have codominance with the lighter shades.  A shark llamas fur color is about as predictable as the exact shade of a human's hair - not much.
Short hair is a dominant trait with shark llamas. Long hair tends to come with the darker shades, and tends to get scraggly. You could try buying some shark llama scrubbers, but be careful, there are some really horrible business men out there on the shark llama market.

TEETH
Teeth are important to a shark llama. They are almost always curved. When not, this is generally a birth defect. Teeth can be long or short. Long teeth (generally about 15 feet long) are considered more useful than the more shark-like rows of smaller teeth, but both have served their species well. Teeth tend to be longer towards the front of the mouth. 
Another trait of teeth is the sharpness. Occasionally (and this is definitely recessive) the teeth can be slightly rounded. This does not affect tooth length. These shark llamas are rare as they usually end up dying before they can reproduce. 

BODIES
As well as ranging in size (they are dominant for smaller body size, but this can be rather random) the bodies tend to fall into two classifications of shape. Dominant is the more shapely, rounded rear, while recessive claims a sharp corner in bone structure with only a thin curve at the rump. Sharkllamas tend to be bred for their rounder shapes.

EYES
Eyes can be rather big and spirally or small. Although big is also rather prevalent, small eyes are the dominant. There is a range. As for eyebrows (which grow up to ten feet long), short is dominant, although long eyebrows can be considered a desired luxury for potential owners. It is possible to clips eyebrows if desired.

TAILS
Fluffy is dominant. Round is dominant. White is dominant. Recessive includes bulgy, scruffy, oblong, and tan. No pictures available at this time.



SO. There are some traits about sharkllamas you never knew you needed to know! I recommend mapping out your own genomes for various other lovely creatures such as this one. Contact me with any requests!
~Julia
P.S. Does any one know how to get the video thing working on blogger? I've been trying to post something for days....

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS
    HAHAHA
    Also, isn't there some sort of pygmy shark llama? Not sure if it's a mutation (like little people) or a sort of subspecies or an extremely rare recessive trait, but I've known some shark llamas to be about three feet tall. At least, that's how I perceived them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the flux do you always call us "little children"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... where else have I called you that, Alex?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you make a genetics thingy for bugaboos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Email me with suggestions!
      I'll run everything by you, but if you have ideas for groundwork, that would be helpful.

      Delete
  5. Right. So I called you that once. But you said:
    "Why the flux do you always call us "little children"?"
    Why do you ALWAYS CALL US that.

    The answer is I don't.
    I did it that once to mimic a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we're not little children! Emma is taller than you, and I'm only two inches shorter than you!

      Delete
  6. ALEX!!! WHY DOES IT MATTER?
    I don't ACTUALLY consider you little children!!!!!
    I said I'm giving you a lesson. So I added the little children to go along with the mood.
    IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL.
    And you are three inches shorter than me.

    ReplyDelete

I could be wrestling with a squid underwater right now, in MORTAL PERIL somewhere in Kenya's squid reserve, and yet I would still find time to respond to this, so make it count.
[P.S. 25% proceeds from comment benefit donates to the Kenya Save the Squid fund. Sign up today!]