Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In the Limelight

Hey.
Sorry I couldn't update you on my 'performance' last night.
That's what I'll try to do now. Ahem:
So, I walk in the fancy auditorium and there are about three people (we were 15 minutes early to play as the parents came in) and all the other performers were on the stage, ready. Luckily I had been right about the Orchestra dress code, so I ran backstage with "Orchestra teacher" and "Orchestra teacher's twin sister" which was a little disorienting, and came on stage.
Remember how I said I lost that music I got this morning?
Well it turns out that that was the wrong part anyways. So I sit down. There were 7 kids- four violins, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 bass.  I knew all of them but 1.  Five eighth graders, me, and one sixth grader. Normally I play viola in school orchestra, but violin was my original instrument and I was instructed to play that.
So we played our little pieces as the crowd trickled in. We had several pieces which were, as I had suspected, easy (except for this one tune with a swinging beat and a lopsided pace).  We would take little breaks occasionally.  It was actually really fun.
I love sight reading.
We played this one piece, Impravada, that we were playing in our school orchestra.  Impravada is a great piece, but I was SO USED to playing the viola part right next to me that I got really disoriented. It was annoying.
We finished with our grande finale, but the Superintendent was held up, so we reran our first two pieces (which most of the audience hadn't heard) and then decided to play Deck the Halls, another school piece that had not been programmed. I firmly resolved to play the viola part, as it did not go onto the C string (which violins don't have) in this piece. Then the curtains closed, so we didn't get to do that.
The parents chattered softly and were very pleasant. They seemed to like our playing.
Then we went back in the orchestra room and "Orchestra teacher" spun her sister tall tales about the impishness of my friend "Alex" and me. Totally exaggerated.
Well, I have some other stuff to do now. So thanks for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I could be wrestling with a squid underwater right now, in MORTAL PERIL somewhere in Kenya's squid reserve, and yet I would still find time to respond to this, so make it count.
[P.S. 25% proceeds from comment benefit donates to the Kenya Save the Squid fund. Sign up today!]